Frequently Asked Questions about Food Trailer and Food Truck Insurance - Call us at (800) 985-7859

Do food trucks require different insurance than food trailers?

Food trucks will require auto insurance by law, where as a food trailer may or may not need a separate auto insurance policy.

When a trailer is being pulled the auto liability (property and injury to others) comes from the auto insurance on the vehicle pulling it.

Depending on your use of the trailer and your personal auto carriers guidelines, you may need to switch to a commercial auto policy.

We have created a supplement quote form to submit the additional information for auto liability coverage..

How much does food trailer insurance cost?

  • Policies start at $375 per year for 1,000,000 liability coverage. Liability insurance is the portion that is required by landlords, commissary kitchens, and city offices. Additional premium for property coverage for your trailer can be added.

What does general liability insurance cover?

General liability covers bodily injury or property damage to others.

This includes your products (food), your premise (slip and fall), personal injury / advertising injury (libel and slander), and property damage to others. The best part is it also covers the legal fees to defend such claims, even if its found you were not at fault!

An example of each:


Someone with a food allergy gets sick and blames your business for not disclosing the ingredients properly. Or the best know example, the coffee is too hot!


You owe an extra duty of care to guest of your business to keep them safe. If they trip over an uneven surface, or a chair you provide breaks and causes injury you can be found liable.

Personal Injury:

If you unintentionally infringe on a trade mark of another business, that company may sue you for damages.

Property Damage:

If your kitchen causes a fire and the fire was to spread to neighboring property, the policy will cover those damages you are found to be negligent for. It's important to note general liability does not cover property damages to others while being towed, that coverage comes from the auto policy. It is also subject to a limit of 100K for property that is owed by your landlord.

How do I value my truck or trailer?

The amount you should insure your truck or trailer for is the actual cash value. In other words at the current value, not the value it would cost to buy a brand new truck or trailer.

This is similar on how personal autos are covered by insurance. In the event of a loss the insurance pays on the current value taking into consideration the condition and age of the property.

For more info check out our blog post: What is the value of your food truck or trailer?

What is the difference between trailer property coverage and contents property coverage

The trailer property value includes the trailer and attached equipment. Attached equipment is defined by anything bolted to the trailer or attached by plumbing or gas line.

Contents is property that is not attached to the trailer.

Example: A fridge can be considered attached (trailer) if it is bolted to the trailer, or it could be consider not attached (contents) if it is just placed in the trailer with no bolting.

Do we charge for Additional Insured Certificates?

No we do not in most situations, while others often charge up to 100 more per adding an additional insured!

Meaning no charge for adding commissary kitchens, landlords, events, etc. Just Email, call, or fill out our online form and we respond fast, and at no additional charge.

Note that one of our insurance carriers does provide the first 6 free and charges $10 per additional insured there after. We will let you know if we quote with that company.

How long does it take to get coverage started?

  • We prefer 24 hours, but can accommodate most rush situations.

Does food trailer insurance include collision coverage as well as coverage when I leave my main location?

  • If you purchase property coverage for your trailer, you will have coverage for collision while it’s being towed. Unlike standard restaurant insurance policies, food trailer insurance coverage will follow your trailer if it moves from its main location. This type of policy is called an Inland Marine Policy.

What is an additional insured ?

An additional insured is a person or organization, that you are doing business with that is added to your insurance policy.

By adding an additional insured, you are extending coverage on your policy to protect the person or organization from claims resulting from your negligence.

For example: A suit from a customer eating spoiled food. Since the lawsuit would sue you, and most likely the venue, your policy would help protect both of you.

The additional insured will want to be shown proof of being added. This is accomplished a standard form called an Acord 25. Some agencies will charge extra for this work; we do not. We also offer a form for the information needed to generate the certificate for you here.

Why should I buy insurance for my food trailer?

You should buy food trailer insurance for several reasons.

  • Most landlords will require it.
  • Opens up vending opportunities as most events require you to have insurance.
  • Protects your valued customers if a mishap occurs.
  • Pays legal expenses to defend claims, even if the claim is frivolous.

What are common mistakes food vendors make with other insurance policies?

Can you add my landlord or event to the insurance policy?

  • Every policy we offer includes blanket additional insureds. This means no additional cost for as many additional insureds as you need, including the owner of your food trailer or lot, or the special event you take part in.

Do you offer monthly payments and what forms of payment do you accept?

  • We do offer monthly payments on some policies, but many insurance companies only offer paid in full options for concessionaires and mobile vendors.
  • On the paid in full policies we can often spread premium into two payments (half due up front and half due in 60 days).
  • We accept all major credit cards, debit cards, and check by phone.

Is there a deductible on my policy?

For Liability claims the deductible is 0.

Meaning if a lawsuit occurs it can be turned over to the insurance company, protecting you from paying costly legal fees.

On property coverage the typical deductible is 500 per occurrence.

If I no longer need my insurance, can I get a refund?

In some states the policy fee is fully earned (no refund) but the premium can be prorated cancelled. In others the policy premium is considered fully earned and no prorated refund can be provided.

How do I get a certificate for my food trailer or food truck?

You can call, send the contract for review, email us, or use our web form.

Do we insure other types of vendors?

Yes! While food trailers and food trucks are our niche market, the insurance product we use is broad in its focus. We also offer great coverage for the below types of vendors.

  • Farmers Markets
  • Flea Markets Vendors
  • Food Carts
  • Concession Booths
  • Indoor Vendors
  • Kiosks
  • Newsstands
  • Outdoor Vendors
  • Seasonal lots
  • Tents, Stands, Tables, and Booths!

Do you write mobile or stationary trailers?

Yes, we cover both.

Our property coverage covers your trailer like a trailer and not a building. We cover collision, theft, vandalism, weather, and more, regardless of the location.

Even if your trailer is stationary many policies that cover your trailer as a "building" will not cover the trailer if its moved or stolen.

Who is Insure My Food Trailer

Insure My Food Trailer is a niche division of Paprocki Insurance Agency. We are located in Austin, TX and have been in operation since 2004. We are rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.

Do you offer short term policies?

We offer short term policies for general liability for food trailers and concessions, but not property insurance coverage. The terms are 1-5 day policy, 1-30 day policy, and anything greater than one month is an annual policy.

Food Trucks do not have the short term coverage option.

What states do you offer insurance coverage in?

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota,Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Please note that note all our carriers offer coverage in all states, but we have at least one carrier to offer coverage within each state.

What insurance companies do we represent?

We offer several different insurance companies depending on your needs.

Some of the carriers we represent:

USLI - Rated A++

Progressive Insurance - Rated A+

Hanover Insurance - Rated A

  • © 2013 Insure My Food Trailer
  • All Rights Reserved
  • CA License # OI22663
  • (800) 985-7859 / (512) 551-0337
  • 12600 Hill Country Blvd. R-275
  • Austin, Texas 78738