What type of insurance does a food trailer need? - Infographic

We get the question asked everyday...What insurance coverage does a food trailer need?

This infographic we created answers that question visually.

Food Trailer Infographic.jpg
Food Trailer Infograph.jpg

General Liability Insurance

General liability protects you from lawsuits brought against you for injury or property damage to third parties. It does not cover auto related or employee injuries, those coverages are discussed below.

This includes your products (food), your premise (slip and fall), personal injury / advertising injury (libel and slander), and property damage to others.

The best part is it also covers the legal fees to defend such claims, even if it's found you were not at fault!

Not only is it smart coverage to have in a sue crazed world, it is often required to do business with most landlords, vendors, and commissary kitchens.

Common coverage limits in the industry are 1 million per occurrence, 2 million aggregate (total claims per year).

To read more about general liability for food trailers and food trucks see our blog post:

General Liability Insurance 101 for mobile food vendors

Food Trailer Infograph.jpg

Food Trailer and contents Property coverage (Inland Marine)

You have poured countless hours and money into your food trailer so you want to make sure your investment is protected right?

Property coverage otherwise known as inland marine (property that moves over land) coverage for your food trailer or other business equipment.

Don’t make the common mistake of assuming your auto insurance policy automatically extends coverage to the vehicle pulling it!

To read more about property insurance check out our blogs

What is the Value of My Food Truck or Food Trailer?

How to Protect Your Food Trailer or Food Truck Equipment

Auto Ins.jpg

Auto Liability

For vendors such as food trailers, concession trailers, food carts, pop-up vendors, street vendors, food stands, and catering trailers you will need to speak with your personal auto carrier on if you can keep that policy or if you will need a commercial auto policy.

Either way you want to make sure you are covered for injury or property damage to others if you cause an accident while driving.

The auto liability applies once you attach the trailer and start moving. Once you park, detach and start operating your mobile food business the general liability takes over.

work comp.jpg

Workers Comp

Workers Compensation Insurance or worker's comp as it is commonly known pays wage replacement and medical benefits to employees if they are injured. In many states it's required by law to carry workers comp and others optional.

To read more on workers comp check out our blog post.

Why Food Trailers Should Carry Workers Comp

The Disadvantages for Food Trailers that Don't Have Workers Comp Insurance

additional coverages.jpg

Additional Coverages

Other coverages are also available as addons.

Umbrella insurance for example is excess coverage above and beyond your limits of general liability or auto liability insurance. This coverage is often required by large contracts.

Food spoilage is another optional coverage that can pay for your spoiled food, but beware deductibles are often 500 or more, and many food trailers will hold about equal to the deductible.

One of the best additional coverages in my experience is loss of business income due to an insurance loss.

Often times even when you suffer a covered claim from an insurance loss, the resulting loss of income while you repair or replace your trailer will at best be a big hit to your income, or more likely put you out of business.

About Insure My Food Trailer

Insure My Food Trailer provides insurance coverage for many types of mobile food vendors such food trailers, concession trailers, pop vendors, concessionaires, snow cone stands, and more.

We are committed to providing our clients the highest quality insurance service combine with our industry knowledge and experience.

We have the knowledge and insurance carrier partnerships to help make the insurance process affordable and easy!

To request an insurance quote click here or call us at (800) 985-7859

  • © 2013 Insure My Food Trailer
  • All Rights Reserved
  • CA License # OI22663
  • (800) 985-7859 / (512) 551-0337
  • 12600 Hill Country Blvd. R-275
  • Austin, Texas 78738